Friday, March 28, 2014

Book Publishing Secrets: Interview with Michael Goffinet, author of 'They Call Me Superman'

Our guest today is Michael Goffinet, author of They Call Me Superman.  He is here to give his experiences as a traditionally published author.

Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?


Michael: I became consumed with action thrillers fifteen years ago. I found myself constantly thinking about different book plots and characters. I developed Marcus Evans on a sleepless night two years ago and he grew from there. I finally found the courage to put pen to paper.
Is this your first book?
Michael: I’ve written a couple of short stories, but “They Call Me Superman” is my first full-length novel.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Michael: I went with a small press. They had a good reputation on the internet.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Michael: I wrote the first draft in six months, but it took me another year to edit and revise. It’s a very time consuming process, but well worth it. You really need a quality product when you go to market. When you go with a publisher, however, you lose a lot of control and have to do most of the marketing yourself. So, if you are a control freak like me, you may want to publish yourself.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Michael: Be prepared for the process to take much longer than expected. Don’t be afraid to ask your publisher for references and demand quality work.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Michael: If you can afford a good editor, I would self publish.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Michael: If you love writing, never give up. Never stop learning, it’s a very important part of improving.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment