Sunday, July 20, 2014

Book Publishing Secrets with D.W. Raleigh, author of Shiloh’s True Nature

D.W. Raleigh was born in the Delaware Valley and has spent most of his life in that region. He has attended multiple colleges and universities collecting several degrees, including an M.A. in Philosophy. After toiling away for many years in various unfulfilling jobs, he began to realize that what he really wanted to do was write. Scribbling down ideas and little short stories he eventually came up with something he wanted to share with the world. Thus, Shiloh’s True Nature was born. D.W. currently resides in Newark, Delaware with his longtime love, Judy, and their two cats, Lovie and Cheepie.
Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
D.W. Raleigh:  I had always intended to become an author, just not of fiction.  I had planned on getting my PhD in Philosophy to teach and publish related works.  However, after getting my M.A., life pushed me in another direction.  As far as the reasoning behind this book, it was a culmination of many things. The short version is; I wanted to create something unique that people would enjoy.
Is this your first book?
D.W. Raleigh: First published, yes…first written, no.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
D.W. Raleigh: Small Press.  I don’t have an exciting answer as to why I choose this method.  It just seemed like the right fit.  Everyone at Hobbes End made me feel like they were the right publisher for my work.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
D.W. Raleigh:  Well, I went the agent route first.  I sent dozens and dozens of emails to prospective agents and nothing ever came of it.  It was when I started contacting publishers directly that I had more success.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
D.W. Raleigh:  Strictly from a writer’s perspective, the journey can be frustrating, because the publishing industry moves at a glacial pace.  I remember receiving a rejection letter from a publisher, a year after I had already signed on with my current publisher.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
D.W. Raleigh:  Absolutely.  I’d suggest researching and compiling a list of publishers that print your genre and then submitting your work directly to them.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?

D.W. Raleigh:  Be tenacious and have thick skin.
*****************
ABOUT THE BOOK
Title: Shiloh’s True Nature
Genre: YA/Fantasy
Author: D.W. Raleigh
Publisher: Hobbes End Publishing
When 12 year-old farm boy Shiloh Williams is sent to stay with his estranged grandfather, he discovers a mysterious new world inhabited by ‘Movers’. The Movers live in symbiotic harmony with one another, except one extremely powerful Mover who has stolen the town’s most precious artifact, the Eternal Flame. Shiloh investigates his supernatural surroundings, makes new friends, and begins to think of the town as home. However, just as soon as he starts to fit in, he realizes his newfound happiness is about to come to an abrupt end. One decision and one extreme consequence are all that remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment