Sunday, January 18, 2015

Book Publishing Secrets with Linda DeFruscio, author of 'Cornered: Dr. Richard J. Sharpe As I Knew Him'

Linda DeFruscio is the founder and president of A & A Laser, Electrolysis & Skin Care Associates in Newtonville, MA. In addition to Cornered, her memoir about her friendship with Richard Sharpe, she is currently writing a book on skin care and completing a book of profiles based on interviews with transgender people, many of whom are her clients. While Cornered is her first book, her skin care articles have been published in magazines for years. Connect with the author on Facebook and via her website.

About the Book
In the year 2000, Linda DeFruscio was forced to make an unthinkable decision. Someone whose genius she admired immensely, a business associate and dear friend, committed a terrible crime. In response, she could cut off their friendship and avoid the risk of losing friends, clients and her own peace of mind—or, she could trust her gut and try to save some aspect of her friend’s humanity.
Cornered is Linda DeFruscio’s story of her long and often complex association with Dr. Richard J. Sharpe, the millionaire dermatologist from Gloucester, MA who was convicted of killing his wife. Beautifully written and surprisingly tender, Corneredallows the reader an upfront view of the fragility of genius and the decline into madness, all while casting a second light on how one woman’s refusal to turn her back resulted in momentous changes in her own life.
Find out more on Amazon.

Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
Author: I am an electrologist (someone who removes unwanted hair from clients’ bodies) and an aesthetician (someone who helps clients enhance their skin and features so that they can be their most beautiful selves). Over the course of my 35-year career, I have written many articles on skin care and other aesthetic matters for various magazines. So, when I lived through a unique and challenging decade-long experience that I knew would make for a really great book, I already had some writing skills. And because I am detail oriented by nature, I also had lots of notes. Getting started was not that difficult for me. I had my ducks in a row, so to speak.
Is this your first book?
Author: Yes, but I am currently working on two others. One will be about skin care and the other, which is nearly done, is a compilation of profiles of transgender people. So many of my clients are transgender people, and some of them were anxious to tell me their stories so they could share their experience with readers. I’m very excited about this project. It is a true labor of love, for me as well as for the people who appear in it.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Author: Because I have my own business and work long hours, I didn’t have the time or inclination to self publish. I had one of my associates contact some publishers and three of them responded with offers of contracts. I looked them over and decided that Twilight Times Books was the best fit for me.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Author: The journey is a long one once you decide to go with a traditional press. It took almost a year from the time my book was accepted at Twilight Times to see it out in print (and in online stores). But in that time it went through a couple of edits with really good editors who gave me a lot of advice for improvements as well as line edits, a variety of cover art options, etc., and now the publisher is sending it out to various reviewers on my behalf. So it is time well spent.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Author: I learned that there are too many people writing and not enough reading. It’s a challenge to get published by a traditional publisher. I’m sure self publishing is easier if you have the time to learn the ropes. But I think it’s also harder in the sense that many readers and reviewers make assumptions about self-published books and don’t give them the chance most of them deserve.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Author: If you’re in a hurry, self publish. If you have the time, explore other options. Writing can be a very lonely process. When you work with a publisher you suddenly have a team of people who care about the success of your book almost as much as you do.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Author: Don’t give up. Go after your dream. Persevere. The rewards for me have been huge, even though the book is barely out at this time. Not only did I accomplish what I set out to do, but in the process I discovered answers to questions that had plagued me for years.    



No comments:

Post a Comment