Friday, July 8, 2016

Book Publishing Secrets with Horror Author Patrick C. Greene

Book Title: The Crimson Calling
Genre: Horror fiction
Publisher: Hobbes End
Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an Patrick and pen this book?
Patrick: My father was an author and the skill of writing came naturally if not easily. I excelled in English classes –that is, when I “applied myself” as the teachers say. But I’ve always had an overactive imagination, often spending more time inside some elaborate inner world than in this so-called reality.
Is this your first book?
Patrick: It’s my second novel. PROGENY was my first, followed by a collection of shorties called DARK DESTINIES and a string of e-published short stories.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Patrick: My publishers, Jairus Reddy and Hobbes End, worked absolute wonders with PROGENY so it was an easy decision to submit this one to them as well. From proofing to graphics to promoting, they knock it out of the park.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Patrick: I started as a screenwriter because I was an actor for a while and entrenched in that world of film production. Frankly, the prospect of writing a full novel was daunting. I had many fears, most of them ridiculous as it turns out. I was afraid I wouldn’t finish, afraid I didn’t have the talent, afraid my prose would be too weird and inaccessible, afraid I would be starting over after years of trying to pay my dues in film. I’ve seen a lot of authors go through hard times, so I feel like my path has been a little easier. On the other hand, screenwriting is much less satisfying, and much more frustrating, so I consider that to have been my dues paying phase.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Patrick: The industry is obviously very fluid right now, with e-publishing rising so quickly, then settling, many many books being self-published, etcetera. The biggest lesson for me was to keep my eyes open and stay on my toes. Try to be good not just at writing the story but also at marketing, self-editing, and never ever forgetting the huge role played by readers, not just in purchasing our work, but in sort of “charging” it with their enthusiasm and involvement.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Patrick: It’s the traditional method and obviously a proven model despite industry changes, so yes, absolutely. I admire those who self-publish exclusively, but having a top shelf team behind you and your book and making it arrive on market as the best version of itself is an incredibly satisfying experience.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Patrick: Be prolific! The more you write, the better you get and the more you have to submit.
Shake it up. Write different kinds of stuff. If you’re exclusively a horror or sci-fi writer, you can still add elements of other genres. Use your break from writing your latest novel to write a short story or article.
Research the publishers. Some are more inclined toward your particular niche than others. At the same time, take a chance sometimes on someone who is doing something that seems unlike your type of writing. They might be bored with the usual stuff and delighted to see something unique.



No comments:

Post a Comment